hulugu
Apr 26, 03:40 AM
Exactly, I agree one hundred percent.
The legal liability in letting or encouraging employees of any company to step in and break up a disturbance like the above would be incalculable.
However, regardless of corporate policy, had/ if something like the above happened in my workplace, I would have stepped in regardless of policy.
It's depressing how corporate policies created out of fear of liability, have made it easier to be a gutless wonder than a participant in a civil society.
Of course the employees should have jumped in and stopped the fight, but I agree that McDonalds cannot be held liable for their employee's failure to be decent human beings.
The legal liability in letting or encouraging employees of any company to step in and break up a disturbance like the above would be incalculable.
However, regardless of corporate policy, had/ if something like the above happened in my workplace, I would have stepped in regardless of policy.
It's depressing how corporate policies created out of fear of liability, have made it easier to be a gutless wonder than a participant in a civil society.
Of course the employees should have jumped in and stopped the fight, but I agree that McDonalds cannot be held liable for their employee's failure to be decent human beings.
IJ Reilly
Oct 20, 05:19 PM
Forget about paying dividends; people are making enough money on Apple stock. Apple needs to think about how to turn its $10 billion in cash into $50 billion in cash. And the way to do that is to grow. Buy up companies!!!
Success in not necessarily about accumulating cash. Far from it, in fact. A company that sits on huge piles of cash and does nothing with it, is not seen as managing their capital resources well. Many if not most financial analysts would argue that if the company is not investing their cash in future growth (and Apple decidedly is not), then they should give at least some of it back to the stockholders.
In addition to what I said above, dividends are a signal from the company that they're feeling secure about the future. Dividends, even token dividends, are a sign of maturity and stability. Hoarding cash is not.
Success in not necessarily about accumulating cash. Far from it, in fact. A company that sits on huge piles of cash and does nothing with it, is not seen as managing their capital resources well. Many if not most financial analysts would argue that if the company is not investing their cash in future growth (and Apple decidedly is not), then they should give at least some of it back to the stockholders.
In addition to what I said above, dividends are a signal from the company that they're feeling secure about the future. Dividends, even token dividends, are a sign of maturity and stability. Hoarding cash is not.
toromac
Apr 9, 03:56 PM
um just walked into my local Best buy and bought a 16gb ipad 2 Wifi in black. they had like 7 or 8 of each model. interesting... maybe they�re not participating in this so called promotion.
dalvin200
Sep 12, 07:42 AM
They'll release iTunes 7.0 with "iTunes Store" in it's place and it will all come back online after the event.
which is what I figured.. hehe
which is what I figured.. hehe
more...

Xian Zhu Xuande
Jul 21, 10:21 AM
Completely incorrect, I have always been an Apple customer. I just recently bought an i7 iMac and own a Macbook pro, an iPod touch and an iPhone 3G. I waited in line for the iPhone 4, and I absolutely love the thing to bits. It's the fastest, most awesome phone I've ever owned. But what annoys me is that you have to agree that this is the most serious problem relating to signal attenuation ever been seen. I mean yes, it has been blown out of proportion by the media but when you get down and actually test it out in different signal strength areas, you definitely notice it pretty severely.
But what annoys me the most, is Apple's "couldn't give a s***, let's point out other people's similar mistakes." Apple has never been like this before. Jobs may have saved the company but he's also going to ruin it with this attitude. Wozniak would have recalled the phones.
I'm quite familiar with the circumstance. Placing the antenna on the outside of the unit has changed the way attenuation of the phone's signal manifests. Apple probably failed to predict the way in which this was received. I agree completely with Gruber on this one, though: it is a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing. I have lost a call that I probably wouldn't have lost due to this issue, but at the same time, I have kept far more calls than I would have, in those poor signal areas, had I been using my 3GS. It is a tradeoff (a word Jobs was probably concerned to use) but one I feel is acceptable. That said, discussion of the issue is fine�it really is there�but discussion blowing it clear out of proportion is just mind numbing.
Now, on to your second line, you clearly don't understand PR and how a company Apple's size has to react with the media. They've certainly misstepped at times, but as they have chosen not to do a recall (reasonable, I feel, and it seems their customers are voting with their dollars that they agree) they have to back their decision to support the phone as is. Competitors have gone out of their way to target this issue and Apple has to respond. And it is fair, too. If Nokia is going to come out and say they don't have issues like this they should be prepared to have their products tested and the same goes for other companies. Apple's on the defense here and it has nothing to do with them not giving a ****.
"Jobs is going to ruin the company with this attitude," is hyperbole.
The Woz, as much as I love the guy, absolutely would not be capable of running a company like Apple (or one even remotely near as successful)�or how to resolve a PR issue. He's an engineer through and through. Not a businessman or any sort of social wizard.
LOL. Grow up. You sound paranoid: Everyone is out to get Apple.
Actually, the media does target Apple disproportionately, but it is not because they are haters. Apple is a large, successful company which people have passionate opinions about and that generates interest, page views, ratings, advertising revenue. So actually, that was right in one sense, wrong in another.
And there's something entertaining about the line, "LOL. Grow up."
But what annoys me the most, is Apple's "couldn't give a s***, let's point out other people's similar mistakes." Apple has never been like this before. Jobs may have saved the company but he's also going to ruin it with this attitude. Wozniak would have recalled the phones.
I'm quite familiar with the circumstance. Placing the antenna on the outside of the unit has changed the way attenuation of the phone's signal manifests. Apple probably failed to predict the way in which this was received. I agree completely with Gruber on this one, though: it is a two steps forward, one step back sort of thing. I have lost a call that I probably wouldn't have lost due to this issue, but at the same time, I have kept far more calls than I would have, in those poor signal areas, had I been using my 3GS. It is a tradeoff (a word Jobs was probably concerned to use) but one I feel is acceptable. That said, discussion of the issue is fine�it really is there�but discussion blowing it clear out of proportion is just mind numbing.
Now, on to your second line, you clearly don't understand PR and how a company Apple's size has to react with the media. They've certainly misstepped at times, but as they have chosen not to do a recall (reasonable, I feel, and it seems their customers are voting with their dollars that they agree) they have to back their decision to support the phone as is. Competitors have gone out of their way to target this issue and Apple has to respond. And it is fair, too. If Nokia is going to come out and say they don't have issues like this they should be prepared to have their products tested and the same goes for other companies. Apple's on the defense here and it has nothing to do with them not giving a ****.
"Jobs is going to ruin the company with this attitude," is hyperbole.
The Woz, as much as I love the guy, absolutely would not be capable of running a company like Apple (or one even remotely near as successful)�or how to resolve a PR issue. He's an engineer through and through. Not a businessman or any sort of social wizard.
LOL. Grow up. You sound paranoid: Everyone is out to get Apple.
Actually, the media does target Apple disproportionately, but it is not because they are haters. Apple is a large, successful company which people have passionate opinions about and that generates interest, page views, ratings, advertising revenue. So actually, that was right in one sense, wrong in another.
And there's something entertaining about the line, "LOL. Grow up."
adouglas2001
Jan 15, 04:11 PM
Everyone is harping on the MacBook Air because of it's lack of ports or an optical drive, but at the end of the day people are still going to want to buy it. It's a nice product.
I agree. It's a machine for a particular kind of user, one who values portability above all else. Looked at that way instead of from the "gee, it lacks...." point of view, it makes a lot of sense.
What often gets lost in these wish-list, "it should be easy to do THIS" discussions is the reality that all machines are compromises. What we get is driven by a lot of factors far beyond what is theoretically possible in a perfect world. Parts availability, cost of manufacture, market forces, engineering tradeoffs, etc. etc.
You need ports and an internal optical drive? You'll just have to live with a chassis big enough to hold them. Like that oh-so-CLUNKY (I mean it's a whole INCH thick! Horrors!), terribly obsolescent, dinosaur-like MacBook Pro. :rolleyes:
I agree. It's a machine for a particular kind of user, one who values portability above all else. Looked at that way instead of from the "gee, it lacks...." point of view, it makes a lot of sense.
What often gets lost in these wish-list, "it should be easy to do THIS" discussions is the reality that all machines are compromises. What we get is driven by a lot of factors far beyond what is theoretically possible in a perfect world. Parts availability, cost of manufacture, market forces, engineering tradeoffs, etc. etc.
You need ports and an internal optical drive? You'll just have to live with a chassis big enough to hold them. Like that oh-so-CLUNKY (I mean it's a whole INCH thick! Horrors!), terribly obsolescent, dinosaur-like MacBook Pro. :rolleyes:
more...
�algiris
Mar 24, 03:54 PM
Ten years, and TheWormyFruit� still hasn't FTFF (http://tinyurl.com/66wkbe3)!
Don't be ridiculous.
Don't be ridiculous.
Ichneumon
May 3, 11:31 PM
The reason why I didn't buy an Ipad yet. I would only browse on Safari and play games. Something that is available on my Macbook Pro.
But have you actually *touched* the internet before? Browsing the internet is a really magical experience on the iPad. ;)
But have you actually *touched* the internet before? Browsing the internet is a really magical experience on the iPad. ;)
more...
twoodcc
Aug 11, 07:06 PM
^^ is 200mhz really that important :p
i'm tellin ya, there's something about starting with the number 4.
but it got too hot, and i had to turn it down to 3.98 ghz. not quite 4. hopefully it'll stay at that though
i'm tellin ya, there's something about starting with the number 4.
but it got too hot, and i had to turn it down to 3.98 ghz. not quite 4. hopefully it'll stay at that though
kirk26
Mar 28, 02:41 PM
This is good!
more...
Yvan256
Oct 11, 08:52 AM
I knew it! I just bought an Archos 504
On behalf of all of us who want a true video iPod/PDA/etc, we thank you for your purchase. You've now pushed the true video iPod ahead of schedule. :D
On behalf of all of us who want a true video iPod/PDA/etc, we thank you for your purchase. You've now pushed the true video iPod ahead of schedule. :D
raleigh1208
Nov 24, 01:28 PM
As noted above, even with the Apple discount today on .mac, since you pay sales tax you'll be better off purchasing it on Amazon. I saw an even better deal on buy.com, where you can buy .mac for $62.77 if you use Google checkout ($20 off $50 deal). The current Google Checkout deal is a good deal if buy.com has your item in stock. The discount is $20 off $50 or $10 off $30 purchases, and you can use it multiple times, if you checkout your items separately.
more...
timerollson
Apr 10, 02:09 PM
Needed some spring inspiration and contact lens solution....
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5607236476_4b01b5ba70.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5150/5607236476_4b01b5ba70.jpg
arn
Oct 2, 04:32 PM
I'm surprised how many people are interpreting this wrong.
The point of this is that Amazon can go to this new company and license Fairplay-compatable DRM. That way they can sell movies/music on their website (Unbox) and sell it with DRM that is iPod/iTV/iTunes Compatible.
This could mean, for example, Napster could be iTunes/iPod compatible.
Or Vongo (unlimited movie downloads $9.95/month) could be iPod compatible.
Personally, I'm not sure how long it will go. Either Apple will shut them down (if legally capable) or simply start licensing Fairplay themselves and cut out the middleman (which could be an inadvertant positive result of this effort)
OR
[edit: as pointed out below, this is probably not possible]
Microsoft licenses it so Zune can play iTunes Music/Movie store content. That could be a huge boost for Zune.
arn
The point of this is that Amazon can go to this new company and license Fairplay-compatable DRM. That way they can sell movies/music on their website (Unbox) and sell it with DRM that is iPod/iTV/iTunes Compatible.
This could mean, for example, Napster could be iTunes/iPod compatible.
Or Vongo (unlimited movie downloads $9.95/month) could be iPod compatible.
Personally, I'm not sure how long it will go. Either Apple will shut them down (if legally capable) or simply start licensing Fairplay themselves and cut out the middleman (which could be an inadvertant positive result of this effort)
OR
[edit: as pointed out below, this is probably not possible]
Microsoft licenses it so Zune can play iTunes Music/Movie store content. That could be a huge boost for Zune.
arn
more...

EricNau
Oct 3, 05:46 PM
I'm expecting more Leopard features, more movie studios for iTunes, iLife '07, iWork '07, the release of "iTV," and perhaps Core 2 Duo in the MacBook Pros, (if not sooner); I believe the MacBooks will keep Core Duo.
I seriously doubt we'll see the iPhone or "True" Video iPod.
I seriously doubt we'll see the iPhone or "True" Video iPod.
ezekielrage_99
Jan 9, 04:55 PM
These are my predictions:
iPhone 2.0:
3G model
16gb Storage
Also Released in Australia
iPhone will be release in Australia within the next month (end of Feb by the latest) only on the Telstra network. Unfortunately Telstra has exclusive rights for the iPhone, so the product will be awesome (e.g. being Apple) but the service provider will be crap....
At my work we got a demo of the iPhone from Telstra for development reasons, we will be supplying data for a few of the services for the iPhone in Australia.
iPhone 2.0:
3G model
16gb Storage
Also Released in Australia
iPhone will be release in Australia within the next month (end of Feb by the latest) only on the Telstra network. Unfortunately Telstra has exclusive rights for the iPhone, so the product will be awesome (e.g. being Apple) but the service provider will be crap....
At my work we got a demo of the iPhone from Telstra for development reasons, we will be supplying data for a few of the services for the iPhone in Australia.
more...
jaigo
Oct 11, 09:16 AM
I really hope the Zune becomes a real competitor and threat to Ipod. I am sick of apple sitting on their ass and giving us minimal improvements to the ipod. I want a wide screen, good battery life, THIN and sleek and sturdy. I will not buy a zune but I hope this pushes apple to bring us the goddamn widescreen ipod. :mad:
balamw
Apr 27, 07:45 PM
I have to say this thread has me captivated. First time ever..... code talk went from learning code to pooping in a pool within 3 pages.
By this point I would have expected Nekbeth to have called us "Nazis" instead of "Pros" in order to satisfy Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).
Which of course I have now done. :p ;)
B
By this point I would have expected Nekbeth to have called us "Nazis" instead of "Pros" in order to satisfy Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).
Which of course I have now done. :p ;)
B
bearbo
Jan 12, 02:45 AM
Overthrow of the government?
:confused: i suppose that's the only definition for revolutionary for you? if so, what do you see in iPhone that's revolutionary?
And only 200 new patents.
is there anything other than the fact there's "200 new patents" (where did you get this anyway?) that you find revolutionary about iPhone?
Apple is not a religion, Steve Jobs is not God.
i'm outa this thread.
:confused: i suppose that's the only definition for revolutionary for you? if so, what do you see in iPhone that's revolutionary?
And only 200 new patents.
is there anything other than the fact there's "200 new patents" (where did you get this anyway?) that you find revolutionary about iPhone?
Apple is not a religion, Steve Jobs is not God.
i'm outa this thread.
RonD69
Apr 5, 03:55 PM
...but how about confining ads to this app rather than on individual apps. This way it's a conscience decision on the user to go into the ads.
Just a thought. Now let me wear my rose-colored glasses.
Just a thought. Now let me wear my rose-colored glasses.
PurrBall
Apr 30, 08:26 PM
Remember what Steve said. PC's as we use today will be like trucks. Yes they will be around but nobody, not you nor me are going to use them.
Me and most everyone I know owns a truck..
Me and most everyone I know owns a truck..
zedsdead
Apr 29, 03:51 PM
Bummer, I really liked the iOS-style scrollbars. My favorite thing about Lion is the inverted scrolling. It feels more natural on a touchpad once you get used to it.
I agree. I am using scroll reverser on Snow Leopard right now and enjoy it a lot. After about a day or two it becomes more natural.
I agree. I am using scroll reverser on Snow Leopard right now and enjoy it a lot. After about a day or two it becomes more natural.
egret
Jul 21, 09:35 AM
Show me another phone that can drop calls from just the position of one finger. Nokia have their problems at the moment, but their reception has always been rock solid.
As for people being surprised at Apple's childishness, have you forgotten about the douchetastic "I'm a Mac campaign".
Apple is doing what they need to do to defend themselves against the smear job put out by the haters in the media and tech sites aligned against them.
You would fight back to if it were your....well you probably wouldnt.
As for people being surprised at Apple's childishness, have you forgotten about the douchetastic "I'm a Mac campaign".
Apple is doing what they need to do to defend themselves against the smear job put out by the haters in the media and tech sites aligned against them.
You would fight back to if it were your....well you probably wouldnt.
Ygn
Nov 6, 06:51 PM
Getting it for PS3, I haven't pre ordered it but I'll probably get it at midnight from BlockBusters.
I always preferred W@W to MW2 so I'm hoping it's gonna be more like that. If it's more like MW2 I'll probably be like this within a day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v_dFtizv7I
LOL oh dear!
I pre-ordered the hardened edition mainly for the map packs which come with it.
I always preferred W@W to MW2 so I'm hoping it's gonna be more like that. If it's more like MW2 I'll probably be like this within a day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v_dFtizv7I
LOL oh dear!
I pre-ordered the hardened edition mainly for the map packs which come with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment