TrafficRevenue

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Summary: Charlotte Bronte's impassioned novel is the love story of Jane Eyre, a plain yer spirited governess, and her employer, the arrogant, brooding Mr. Rochester. Published in 1847 under the pseudonym Currer Bell, the book heralded a new kind of heroine - one whose virtuous integrity, keen intellect, and tireless perseverance broke through class barriers to win equal stature with the man she loved. Hail by William Makepeace Thackeray as "the masterwork of a great genius", Jane Eyre is still regarded, over a century later, as one of the finest novels in English literature.
(Summary from book, cover photo from amazon.com)

My Review: The story begins with an orphan Jane, age merely ten, living a tormented life within her stepmother's home. Yet this strong willed young girl will not allow the reader to bestow sympathy upon her. Soon she is off to school where she grows into a determined, independent, passionate young lady. After completing her education Jane applies for a governess position and receives one at Mr. Rochester's estate. Here the timeless tale of romance begins.

Though I have seen the book mentioned in countless publications, this is my first reading of Jane Eyre. I was nervous at approaching a book sure to contain dated speech and subject matter, yet upon opening the first chapter I realized that this story is written in an ageless manner. Though I did have to slow my reading to account for language comprehension, the book was not a struggle as I had expected. I quickly became engrossed in the narration, adoring how the book addresses the reader throughout, making me feel as if the story would not be without my reading of it.

This is a beautiful, descriptive tale with depth and intensity. It's an all-encompassing tale - full of romance, mystery, humor, darkness, tears, suspense, and drama. It crosses many genres and is completely captivating.

Jane Eyre is a true classic. I can now see how other books have used this foundation. This is an infatuating tale that begs to be read time and time again. With each reading one would certainly gain additional pleasure.

My Rating: 5 Stars, I absolutely adore this book

If I had to sum it up in one phrase it would be: A truly timeless classic tale of romance that will delight reading after reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment